LIVESTRONG Partner in healing the whole person - LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. The Y and LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their total health.
Participants work with YMCA staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals, such as building muscle mass and strength, increasing flexibility and endurance, and improving confidence and self-esteem. This free 12-week program meets twice a week for 75 minutes. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind, and body.
Participating YMCA's in Maine:
- YMCA of Southern Maine, Casco Bay branch - 207-865-9600
- Northern York County branch - 207-283-0100
- Pineland branch - 207-688-2255
- Portland branch - 207-874-1111, www.ymcaofsouthernmaine.org
- Bath Area Family YMCA - 207-443-4112, www.bathymca.org
- Boothbay Region YMCA - 207-633-2855, www.boothbayregionymca.org
- Kennebec Valley YMCA - 207-622-9622, www.kvymca.org
- Mount Desert Island YMCA - 207-288-3511, www.mdiymca.org
- Penobscot Bay YMCA - 207-236-3375, www.penbayymca.net
Calais Regional Hospital Offers Cancer Exercise Program
Cancer-Related Fatigue (CRF) is the most common side effect of cancer treatment and affects nearly 70% of all cancer patients. Cancer Cachexia is also a side effect in about 50% of patients.
If you or a loved one has CRF or Cancer Cachexia, this program can help restore the sense of health, energy, and well-being that may be missing.
The Cancer Rehabilitation program at Calais Regional Hospital is staffed by Candace Kelley-Welch, PT. Candace is a physical therapist with over 10 years of experience and has completed intensive training at the Rocky Mountain Cancer Institute in Greely, CO, where she earned her certification as a Cancer Exercise Specialist.
Talk to your physician about a referral to physical therapy for cancer rehabilitation. And, if you live in the Calais Regional Hospital area, Candace Kelley-Welch, PT, will work with you and your family to facilitate cancer treatment with fitness.
Photo credit: Image by Matt Lankes from the LIVEStrong website.