LIVESTRONG Partner in healing the whole person - LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. The Y and LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their total health.
Participants work with YMCA staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals, such as building muscle mass and strength, increasing flexibility and endurance, and improving confidence and self-esteem. This free 12-week program meets twice a week for 75 minutes. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind, and body.
Please call your Y to learn whether the Livestrong Program is offered as classes are intermittent. If the program is not offered, you can request that one be provided.
YMCA's in Maine:
- YMCA of Southern Maine, Casco Bay branch - 207-865-9600
- Northern York County branch - 207-283-0100
- Pineland branch - 207-688-2255
- Portland branch - 207-874-1111, www.ymcaofsouthernmaine.org
- Bath Area Family YMCA - 207-443-4112, www.bathymca.org
- Boothbay Region YMCA - 207-633-2855, www.boothbayregionymca.org
- Kennebec Valley YMCA - 207-622-9622, www.kvymca.org
- Mount Desert Island YMCA - 207-288-3511, www.mdiymca.org
- Penobscot Bay YMCA - 207-236-3375, www.penbayymca.net
Photo credit: Image by Matt Lankes from the LIVEStrong website.